How to colour hair at home? Simple! Henna is one of the answers! Henna is a natural ingredient that has been used for colouring hair for centuries. It is an evergreen flowering plant that gives out the beautiful colour of red and burgundy to your hair and hands. The earliest use of Henna is seen in 1200 BC when it was used to colour the nails of pharaohs. In Indian traditions, henna is said to bring good fortune, love, prosperity, and good luck in homes. There are three types of henna that can be used to dye hair.
The first is natural henna. Natural henna gives a rich brown stain that darkens further as the days pass. Natural henna is the purest form of henna that does not cause any damage to your hair or hands. This is the henna that one must use because it contains zero chemicals.
The second is neutral henna. As the name suggests, this kind of henna does not give out any colour. This henna is best for conditioning your hair. But you cannot colour your strands with it. This henna nourishes your strands without dyeing them.
The third is black henna. It is derived from the indigo plant and contains chemicals like PPD. PPD gives a black stain quickly but it can cause several allergic reactions and permanent scarring after 2-3 days. This dye is not fir for dyeing because it can irritate the scalp. In case you wish to dye your hair black, you must always go with pure indigo powder which is free from chemicals. Blend the natural henna powder with indigo powder and apply it to your hair to give it a nourished and coloured look. Now that you know the history of henna, let us have a look at how you can use henna to dye your hair.
Henna For Hair Dyeing – Pamper Your Locks
Henna is a popular beauty ingredient that gives your locks colour and nourishment. Before dyeing your hair with henna, make sure that you are using 100% pure henna powder. The colour that you get from natural henna ranges from red to orange. You also get shades of brown after applying henna. The shade gets darker and stronger with the passage of time. Below is how you can use henna powder to dye your hair. Have a look!
- Soak the henna powder in a coffee or tea water overnight
- Add some lemon juice to the mixture. Further, add egg or yoghurt to condition your hair.
- On the next day, apply the paste to your clean hair and leave it for two hours.
- Let the paste dry in your hair. Rinse your hair with water afterward.
- Use a sulphate-free shampoo the next day and follow up with a conditioner.
So, these are the steps that you can follow in order to make a henna hair pack. You can also add other natural ingredients such as Amla, Egg, Banana, Multani Mitti, etc., to give your hair a conditioned look. Let us have a look at what more you can add to your natural hair pack.
- Amla helps in bringing vibrant colour to your locks while strengthening them.
- Banana helps in reducing split ends while conditioning your hair.
- Multani Mitti in henna hair pack helps in curbing hair loss that can happen due to oily scalp. Multani mitti effectively removes oil, dirt, and grime from your scalp.
- Coconut Milk can also be added if you have dry hair. It will nourish and strengthen your locks by providing them with intense hydration.
- Hibiscus in the hair pack controls dandruff and maintains scalp health.
- Green Tea in henna hair mask colours your hair and covers greys. It gives a brown shade to your tresses and stimulates hair growth.
So, these are some of the additional ingredients that can actually make your hair beautiful and lustrous. Henna is an excellent ingredient in itself that boosts hair growth and strength. It moisturises your hair and gives it colour and care at the comfort of your home. Now that you know how to colour hair at home with henna, let us have a look at the ways of colouring hair at home with readymade dyes.
Godrej Natural Readymade Dyes
Natural hair dyes mean that they are infused with natural ingredients. Nowadays there are a whole lot of hair dyes that have chemicals infused in them. Such hair dyes damage your tresses and make them weak and brittle. We might have often noticed that whenever we get a hair colour done, our hair seems to become dry after some washes. This is because of the harsh chemicals in the hair dyes that strip off the natural keratin of our hair and make them weak and frizzy.
On the contrary, natural hair dyes such as Godrej Expert Rich Crème makes our hair nourished and conditioned. Godrej hair dyes are enriched with Amla, Reetha, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, etc., that moisturise your hair and treat various hair issues such as split ends, dandruff, rough texture, dull hair, etc. They not only add colour to your tresses but also add shine and lustre to them. This is one of the best box dyes that we recommend you to use. To colour your hair at home with these dyes, make sure you have some things handy. They are:
- colour brush
- shower cap
- lip balm
Now let us have a look at how you can colour your hair.
- Select the best shade that goes with your skin tone. Determine your undertone and select the colour accordingly.
- Buy two boxes of hair dyes. Never think that one is enough! Instead, buy two boxes of hair dyes to be in surplus rather than in deficit. Hair colour needs to be applied evenly and liberally to the tresses.
- Do not mix two shades otherwise, it will lead to chaos. Take two bowls and apply the colours after making sections. If you want one colour then there is no need to make sections. But if you want a blend of shades then part certain sections in which you need a different
- Wear easy-to-remove clothing. Do not wear tight clothes because while removing them, the colour can ruin them.
- Protect your skin from the dye with a lip balm. Glide the lip balm along your hairline to avoid colour on your skin.
- Wear gloves while colouring your hair or you will end up dyeing your hands as well!
- Start dyeing from the roots and reach till the end in case you want a global hair colour. In case you want highlights, use a toothbrush for that.
- Wipe out the dye spills with wet wipes. Let the colour stay in your hair until it dries.
- Wash off the hair colour with a sulphate-free shampoo. Follow up with a conditioner.
- Wear a hat while going out in the sun to protect your hair from fading away.
So, these are the ways you can follow to apply box dyes. There is a different technique of how to colour at home in terms of henna and box dyes. Both the dyes mentioned above are natural. Thus, you can use either henna or Godrej hair dyes. Try them and tell us which dye you loved the most!